biology botany zoology chemistry physics
biologist biological botanist botanical zoologist zoological chemist chemical Physicist physical
education, invitation, prediction -ment
development, movement, disappointment
teacher, worker, runner, singer
visitor, sailor, actor
-ist ( 人, 名词后缀) scientist, artist
-ese( 民族,语言,名词后缀) Chinese, Japanese
-ness happiness, carelessness
-ity ability, possibility
windy, rainy, sunny, healthy, funny -ish
dangerous, humorous -ful
helpful, careful, peaceful, colorful -less
homeless, helpless, careless
-ed balanced, talented, gifted -ing interesting -ic atomic, economic, scientific -al traditional, national, natural -ial financial, social -ical chemical, physical
4. 名词、形容词变动词： -ify
beautify, simplify -ize
quicken, widen, sharpen
Complete the sentences with words formed from those in
1. Mendel was a famous _g_e_n_et_ic_i_st_ who lived in the 19th century. (genetics)
2.The Chinese government is developing s_c_ie_n_t_if_ic__ research in many areas. (science)
3. Darwin was a famous _z_o_o_lo_g_i_st_ andb_o_t_an_i_s_t _ who developed the theory of evolution. (zoology, botany)
4. Einstein was a 20th century _p_h_y_s_i_ci_st_. (physics)
1. Write the figure “7” for me.数_字____ 2. We bought the house at a high figure.
金__额__,_价__格__ 3. The figure on page 22 shows a
political map of Africa. 图___解__, _图__表__
4. The central figure in the painting is the artist’s Daughter画. 像,肖像
5. 身I’材m dieting to keep my figure.
6. Are you good at figures? _____
7. a great 金fig融ur界e i的n t巨he头financial
support vt. ① 支持, 支援, 赞助 The directors were trying to get rid of her, but her staff all support her.
Will you support me in my campaign for election?
② 承受, 支撑 Is this bridge strong enough to support heavy lorries?
He was weak with hunger, so I had to support him.
③ 证实 This evidence supports my argument that she is guilty(有罪的)
④ 养活, 供养 I was supported by my parents when I was studying.
I have a large family to support/ keep/ feed/provide for.
n. ①支持, 支援 I need some financial support for this venture.
Jim was a great support to us when father died. ③ 支持者, 拥护者 The theatre has had to close for lack
vt. ⑴替换,替代(常可与介词with或by 连用) Can anything replace a mother’s love and care? I’m going to replace the tape recorder with/by a CD player.
⑵ 把…放回原处 He replaced the dictionary on the shelf after using it.
注意: 表示“代替”的词或词组有: replace, take the place of, in place of/ in one’s place, instead, instead of
convert Vt. “使转化, 使转换, 使改变信仰等” be converted to 转变为
Hydrogen and carbon monoxide can be
converted to a liquid fuel. 类似用法的单词有：
be devoted to, be addicted to 1. 很多男学生对玩电脑游戏上瘾。
Many boy students _a_re__a_d_d_i_c_te_d_ to
playing computer games.
a quantity of a lot of a mass of quantities of lots of masses of
注意: A large quantity of money _h_a_s_been spent. Quantities of money h_a_v_e_ been spent. A quantity of books _h_a_s_ been read.
1. Please be brief because I’m in a hurry. 我有急事, 请长话短说。
2. Mozart’s life was brief. 莫扎特的一生很短暂。
3. His remarks were brief and to the point. 他的话简洁, 而且说到了点子上。
拓展: in brief/ to be brief 简言之 类似的表达: in short, in a word,
in a nutshell
e.g. In brief, she was satisfied with the result.
vi.⑴ (气体、液体等) 漏出、渗出、泄漏 There’s gas _e_sc_a_p_i_n_g___ somewhere. Can you smell it? 有什么地方漏煤气了, 你闻到了吗？ Make a hole to let the water _e_sc_a_p_e_. 弄个洞让水流出。
⑵ 逃亡、逃脱、逃避, 作“逃避，避免, 免除”解时为及物动词, 后常跟名词、 代词或动名词。 Don’t tell me that you always ebsecianpgep_u_n_i_s_h_e_d_______. 不要告诉我你总是逃过惩罚。
vt. ⑶被遗忘, 未被注意 His name escaped me for the moment. 我一时想不起他的名字来了。 n. “逃亡，逃避” The Sao Paulo building was built without fire escapes. 圣保罗大楼建造时, 没有建上安全出口。
a narrow escape:死里逃生
I had a narrow escape. 我死里 逃生。
1. 狗越过围烂逃走了。 The dog _es_c_a_p_e_d__o_v_e_r the fence.
2. 他免于受罚。 He escaped f_r_o_m__b_e_i_n_g_p_u_n_i_s_h_e_d.
3. 我是死里逃生。 I _h_a_d_a__n_a_r_r_o_w__e_sc_a_p_e_.
4. 我记不起他的名字了。 He name _es_c_a_p_e_s_m__e_.
1,Read the new words loudly as many times as possible until you can read fluently!
2, Preview the text